Monday, June 15, 2009

Hip Hop and Baile Entrentenido--for the Masses

I love, love, love hip hop! Unlike modern which can be obscure at times, hip hop is for the masses, created by the masses. Even more impressive are the number of men dancing hip hop...straight men even! One of the greatest joys in the workshop for me was watching the men dance. It was hot!

Of all the types of dances I would recommend to a person with any type of body, it would be hip hop. It's fun. It's not terribly taxing either. We only had one routine in all three days that required any kind of floor work and it was only for a moment. With the right attitude, you can pull off anything in hip hop. Plus, they use really frickin' great, shake-your-booty music. You can't help but move to it! If hip hop doesn't do it for you, ty any of the ethnic dances like belly dance, hawaiian/tahitian/Rapa Nui, or Afro Peruano, Afro Columbiano, African. They emphasize and celebrate the best attributes of women. Having big hips, a large ass, and big breasts is great.

I love dance. I do. I can't imagine what I would do if I were obese and loved dance. I would hope that I would go to dance class anyway. But I do understand how difficult it would be to have a large body in a classroom full of skinny girls. And perhaps it's just as difficult to have a skinny body in a room full of fat people. For me, I have always been on the "fat" end of dancers in my dance class. To ignore that stupid voice saying, "You're too fat, too ugly, too blah blah blah" is incredibly difficult.

Man, I would love to teach a dance class for bodies of all sizes. Here, they have something called Baile Entretenido which I would love to teach. It's a mix of samba, salsa, merengue, hip hop, swing and jazz. But it's simple because it's the same routines almost every time. The instructor encourages you to simply move during class and don't worry about catching the steps. It's the only class I've ever been too where sometimes the energy is so high that after a routine everyone claps and laughs. Plus its just about having fun. No one's screaming at you or pulling their hair out because you're doing the steps wrong. That's the kind of thing I like!

If you know a type of dance that's for any body size, leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment