Monday, November 30, 2009

When a Life is at Stake

Recently I was misdiagnosed with a serious disease. Further testing revealed that I am fine and healthy. But between the first test and the second were two serious weeks when I thought I might die early.

I want to say that I'll never look at myself in the mirror without thinking of what I could improve, but I have a feeling that years and years of living may diminish the shock that this moment brought me.

But for now, I'm just happy to be able to eat a wide variety of foods, foods that due to the original diagnosis I could not eat: cheese, wine, chocolate, espresso, bread, butter, ice cream. These are foods that make me happy. They give my life more dimension. They aren't a necessity of course, but they're nice to have.

I am thankful for all parts of me. For having the curves I have. That the body I have is strong. It can lift weights, can lift me, can dance, can make love.

When your life is at stake, the body you have has to be strong. It has be healthy. It doesn't have to be a certain size or number or shape. It just has to be vigorous. That's what we should be striving for. A vigorous mind and a vigorous body. Nothing more, nothing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment